Monday, January 4, 2010

Capital Coffee at Chadstone...

OK, so I haven't been getting out much. I tell myself the fact that I am in the eighth month of pregnancy no. 3 is a good enough excuse but to be honest I have just been feeling a little uninspired to write, and so this post comes to you after quite a long hiatus, one I hope not to repeat. Lets call it designers block.


So what has stirred me from my mundane non blogging existence you may ask? Well, it was coffee at Chadstone - quite unexpectedly.

Chadstone is the shopping destination for Melbournites [some would say only second to Chapel Street] and it has recently had an extension [it was already ridiculously large] to include luxury brands such as Chanel, Gucci, Prada, Jimmy Choo - well you get the idea. Now, I haven't had a good look at these stores I have to admit [I really haven't been feeling glamourous enough, do I need to remind you about being eight months pregnant...] so I may come back to you about being inspired by some aspect of one of these high end stores - but from a glance, so-so, although the Swarovski shopfront is rather gorgeous. But it was a new venture that spiked my inspiration, a cafe called Capital Kitchen.

A friend suggested we meet for coffee "just around the corner from Tiffany's" and so I wandered around the corner, after being quite amused at the crowd of woman 3 deep at the counter of Tiffany's - imagining them all placing their orders for christmas trinkets at the expense of their husbands or partners [please don't get me wrong, I'm all for a little duck egg blue box under my tree!] and found to my delight the cafe, that I had expected to be another soulless coffee shop with no atmosphere as is usually the case in a large shopping centre. But no, here was a vast open space filled with natural light and more than a little atmosphere, it was actually really pleasant and I felt like I was somewhere else entirely.

Capital Kitchen is the joint venture of Bruce & Chyka Keebaugh - You may recognise those names as the creators of The Big Group - an amazingly successful catering group based in Melbourne. The philosophy of Capital Kitchen is simple - provide a relaxing and welcoming environment, a new place to discover interesting homewares and offer delicious fresh food that is cooked onsite.

I can say that the atmosphere was definitely relaxing, the staff were really welcoming and genuinely friendly [even after spotting my pram & 2 yr old who sometimes provoke less than friendly responses!] The coffee was great and whilst I haven't yet ventured back to check out the food [time didn't permit on this particular day], the initial menu looked fab, even offering kids lunch boxes.

The menu was a work in progress which would expand as kitchen works were completed [which I believe they now are] and once the liquor licence was approved Capital Kitchen will also serve as a bar. I loved the simplicity of the graphics and branding used [Created by Cornwell Design] to help convey the Capital Kitchen brand.

So what about the interior - well I already mentioned the vastness providing a warehouse like feel but there is nothing cold about the space. The furniture is high quality and so comfortable. The use of timber, brick and farm-style or industrial finishes & fixtures such as the 'drink sink' area [above] or the lighting installation [below] are what make Capital Kitchen a relaxed place to hang out after a hard shop. Bruce & Chyka Keebaugh worked closely with Miriam Fanning of Mim Design to create this unique retail interior which firmly reflects the recent return to honesty and simplicity with real style within interiors and homeware products.

Capital Kitchen also has a retail homewares section with goods that reflected the overall brand and feel of the store.

I hope you will check out Capital Kitchen after your next shopping adventure, let me know what you think...

[images are all my own - apologies for lack of quality, its not one of iphones redeeming qualities...]


1 comment:

  1. The place looks great! Simple, classy, comfortable. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, we love to hear from you!